Skyhound Forums

Full Version: Logging observations w/o computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All -

While I have seen the spate of recent announcements regarding ST4 Imaging, and am therefore anxiously anticipating the release of ST4 Visual Observing, I decided to become better acquainted with my copy of ST3.

In order to incorporate ST3 more seamlessly into my observing, and because I do NOT take my computer out when observing (since my old scopes are manually powered!), I wonder:
- is there a capability to use an Android tablet/phone, or possibly some other mobile device on the same network, to view observing maps and/or to take log notes
- have people found some other efficient way to print out observing sheets with star hop guides (ala Visual Sky Simulations) to more seamless gain the benefits of ST without using a Windows computer?

TIA
Ed
(2018-09-19, 12:35 AM)gandoe Wrote: [ -> ]All -

While I have seen the spate of recent announcements regarding ST4 Imaging, and am therefore anxiously anticipating the release of ST4 Visual Observing, I decided to become better acquainted with my copy of ST3.

In order to incorporate ST3 more seamlessly into my observing, and because I do NOT take my computer out when observing (since my old scopes are manually powered!), I wonder:
- is there a capability to use an Android tablet/phone, or possibly some other mobile device on the same network, to view observing maps and/or to take log notes
- have people found some other efficient way to print out observing sheets with star hop guides (ala Visual Sky Simulations) to more seamless gain the benefits of ST without using a Windows computer?

TIA
Ed

Hi,

There are no phone apps. I briefly considered this some time ago, but when inexpensive Windows tablerts came along I no longer saw the need. It would take considerable time and effort, for what is a fairly small benefit.

Regarding the charts, I'm not sure what you are asking. I can say that sometimes when I observe with my Dob I print out finder charts for everything ahead of time. I use the chart to find the object then write my notes on the chart itself. The next day I add log entries, transcribing my notes. There are ways to streamline both processes:

1. I print charts from the Nightly Planner via a right-click in the check mark column, after checking off the objects I wish to observe.

2. When I enter the logs, I set up the "New Log Defaults" dialog with the settings for that night, such as the night,l location, scope, etc. Then I create my logs by right-clicking on the objects in the Nightly Planner and selecting "Create Quick Log Entry." This will open the log with most parts filled in. I just need to add the time and the notes.
(2018-09-19, 09:42 PM)Greg -Thanks for the response. Ok, so I\ll plan on continue my traditional practice of logging my observations in a notebook, then transferring them to ST at some later point.In regards to my second question, I was asking about an alternative to printing one (finder chart) or two (finder chart + object info) pieces of paper per object to view, in an effort to reduce that amount of paper and printing; maybe multiple finder charts per page? Perhaps not...just a thought. Although along those lines; is there a "one click option"to print both a finder chart series, and object info, for an object? Perhaps with some selection of data from the sub-tabs in the info-windows of the "Object Info" window? I would think having a printable format for chart numbers, synopsis and notes (with some default selection) would enable be useful, if I'm not bringing my computer, or the bookshelf of observing guides, outside with me!.The "New Log Defaults" dialog is a very useful tip - thanks!Looking forward to ST4 Visual.Ed Wrote: [ -> ]There are no phone apps. I briefly considered this some time ago, but when inexpensive Windows tablerts came along I no longer saw the need. It would take considerable time and effort, for what is a fairly small benefit.

Regarding the charts, I'm not sure what you are asking. I can say that sometimes when I observe with my Dob I print out finder charts for everything ahead of time. I use the chart to find the object then write my notes on the chart itself. The next day I add log entries, transcribing my notes. There are ways to streamline both processes:

1. I print charts from the Nightly Planner via a right-click in the check mark column, after checking off the objects I wish to observe.

2. When I enter the logs, I set up the "New Log Defaults" dialog with the settings for that night, such as the night,l location, scope, etc. Then I create my logs by right-clicking on the objects in the Nightly Planner and selecting "Create Quick Log Entry." This will open the log with most parts filled in. I just need to add the time and the notes.
Hello,

I'll take your suggestions into consideration.