Skyhound Forums
Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? - Printable Version

+- Skyhound Forums (https://skyhound.com/forums)
+-- Forum: SkyTools Discussion (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: SkyTools 4 (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: SkyTools 4 Imaging (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+---- Thread: Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? (/showthread.php?tid=542)

Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? - razvan - 2019-06-09

Is it possible to perform searches (presumably, in the Database Power Search tool) by objects that would benefit of using a narrowband filter, such as an O-III filter? I'm asking because I live in an area with very high light pollution so when I don't drive out to a darker site, it'd be useful to see what I can do with a narrowband filter.

I've noticed that under the Galactic Deep Sky tab, the Diffuse Nebulae has an option for "HII regions" which I suppose it works for H-alpha filters but for O-III filters I'm not sure if I can find an equivalent. 

It's not a big thing if it's not available, I can find candidate objects with some googling, I was merely curious. 

Thank you.

RE: Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? - theskyhound - 2019-06-09

Hello,

Right now there isnn't anything specifically for this purpose, but you can assume that OIII objects are going to be planetary nebulae, supernova remnants, and some HII regions. The same can be said for H-alpha, except that many more HII regions will have H-alpha emission.

I will look into adding a search function to the DPS that will help find objects by emission line strength. That's a good idea.

Clear skies,
Greg

RE: Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? - razvan - 2019-06-09

(2019-06-09, 08:12 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

Right now there isnn't anything specifically for this purpose, but you can assume that OIII objects are going to be planetary nebulae, supernova remnants, and some HII regions. The same can be said for H-alpha, except that many more HII regions will have H-alpha emission.

I will look into adding a search function to the DPS that will help find objects by emission line strength. That's a good idea.

Clear skies,
Greg

Thanks, Greg!

BTW, I think that the Database Power Search would benefit from having a button linking to it from the Designation Search menu. Or being listed in the Tools menu by itself. Where it is now (in one item of a dropdown box in the Target Selection tab) is kind of hidden. Even in that tab, for me at least it'd make more sense to have it as a different button because I don't associate it with the "Get Target List" functionality. I had forgotten where it is and spent several good minutes today looking for it because even when I looked at the screen, I didn't think of DPS as "getting a list", but something totally different, a local search. I checked the help page as well (minor thing: the topic appears as "The Database Power Serarch Tool") but it doesn't say where it is, just what it does.

Thanks again for creating ST, love it!

RE: Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? - theskyhound - 2019-06-09

Hi,

I understand what you mean, but in fact the DPS is designed primarily for making Target Lists. I suppose I could add it to the Tools menu as well, but I'm unsure how universal your problem is.

Sure. In my case it won't repeat since now I remember where it is :-)

RE: Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? - theskyhound - 2019-06-10

(2019-06-09, 11:40 PM)razvan Wrote: Sure. In my case it won't repeat since now I remember where it is :-)

You got me thinking, and I came up with a much better solution. I'm turning the "Get Objects" button into a menu, and below that will be both the Designation Search and the Database Power Search, which makes a heck of a lot more sense.

Thanks for getting me thinking about it!

RE: Search by object by (narrowband) filter type? - razvan - 2019-06-10

Perfect, thanks!