Skyhound Forums
Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook - Printable Version

+- Skyhound Forums (https://skyhound.com/forums)
+-- Forum: SkyTools Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: SkyTools 3 General Support (https://skyhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook (/showthread.php?tid=559)

Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook - Dennis - 2019-07-06

Hi Greg

The SS2K Alignment Stars list is exhibiting strange behaviour:

Win 10 Pro Desktop PC:
Only 26 out of the 35 alignment stars are showing data. The remainder are blank and show zeros in the RA and DEC columns - see screen capture.
[attachment=334]

Win 10 Home Notebook.
I upgraded this from Win 7 to Win 10 as a fresh install i.e. all apps and data were deleted.
I installed ST3 from the CDROM (full install) and when I Imported the SS2K Alignment Stars List from SkyHound all 35 entries were blank with zeroes in RA and DEC columns.
[attachment=335]

I have uninstalled ST3 on the Notebook and re-installed again with the same results?

I haven't used ST3 for several months prior to observing this behaviour on both the Win 10 Desktop and the Win 10 Notebook.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks

Dennis

UPDATE:
Win 10 Home Notebook:
  • On the newly installed Win 10 Home Notebook, all the Star Observing Lists (e.g. Skiffs Red Stars, AL Carbon Star, etc.) are all blank with zeroes in the RA and DEC columns.
  • Also, in the Deep Sky Group, the South African Astronomical Observatory Best contains over 50 blank entries, all with zeroes in the RA and DEC column for those blank entries.
  • I have just quickly browsed the Current and Default Lists and they appear to look okay, with no blank entries displaying.
UPDATE 02:
Win 10 Home Notebook.
I noticed that AL Doubles were in the Default Group and AL Carbon in the Star Group on my Win 10 Home Notebook and they displayed differently in the RT Tab as shown in the following screen captures:
[attachment=336]

[attachment=337]

Both displays appear to be incomplete in terms of data fields - this is getting stranger and stranger, given this is a fresh install of Win 10 and a fresh install of ST3 on this Notebook.

RE: Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook - theskyhound - 2019-07-06

Hello,

Try selecting Refresh List from the Observing List menu. Does that resolve the problem? If so, ensure that the Auto Refresh selection on the same menu is checked.

If not, there is something sinister afoot. Something is interfering with your files. Possibilities include:

1. Your anti-virus software is removing files. I have seen this happen with Bitdefender in particular.

2. Did you copy files from one computer to the other? If so, how did you do this?

RE: Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook - Dennis - 2019-07-06

(2019-07-06, 06:26 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

Try selecting Refresh List from the Observing List menu. Does that resolve the problem? If so, ensure that the Auto Refresh selection on the same menu is checked.

If not, there is something sinister afoot. Something is interfering with your files. Possibilities include:

1. Your anti-virus software is removing files. I have seen this happen with Bitdefender in particular.

2. Did you copy files from one computer to the other? If so, how did you do this?

Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply.

Win 10 Desktop install history.
The Win 10 Desktop has Win 10 installed from new (2017) and ST3 was installed from CDROM (2017) and worked as expected from that installation date. I have not used ST3 for several months and when I came to look up Antares (a week ago) in the SS2K List I noticed it was missing with only a subset of the SS2k stars displaying.

I just tried the Refresh List and this did not solve the problem.
  • I deleted all my Star related observing lists and then created a new group called Multiple Stars.

• I then Imported the SS2K List from the Skyhound Website into the new Multiple Stars Group and the problem still remains.
See screen capture below for Win 10 Desktop PC.
[attachment=338]

Win 10 Notebook install history.
  • This was originally a Win 7 Home Edition Notebook and ST3 worked fine - I used this to drive my Tak Temma 2 Mount.
  • yesterday I performed a clean install of WIn 10 from the MS Website and selected the option to erase all user data and programs.
  • This appeared to run okay and I began the process of re-installing my apps from either DL or Media (e.g. MS Office 365, FireCapture, ZWO Camera Drivers, Atik Camera Drivers, etc.) and tested these as I went along by connecting the HW and establishing that it worked.
  • I installed ST3 from CDROM and chose the Full (650MB) option and that appeared to run okay.
  • I did not install any 3rd party Antivirus - I think that the native MS Security stuff gets installed at the time of Win 10 OS install.
Cheers

Dennis

RE: Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook - theskyhound - 2019-07-06

Hello,

I would not recommend installing from the CD. These were manufactured almost a decade ago and likely have degraded to the point where there are many errors. The software itself is error checked, but not the data.

Please email me at support@skyhound.com and I will send you the download link and instructions.

RE: Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook - Dennis - 2019-07-06

(2019-07-06, 09:59 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

I would not recommend installing from the CD. These were manufactured almost a decade ago and likely have degraded to the point where there are many errors. The software itself is error checked, but not the data.

Please email me at support@skyhound.com and I will send you the download link and instructions.

Thanks Greg - I appreciate your quick reply.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Greg

Just a quick update - all looks good! Smile 

Thanks for the download link and instructions. I downloaded and installed ST3 on the "damaged" Win 10 Home Notebook and created a new Group=Stars and then Imported the SS2K List from the Skyhound Website and as if by magic, all 35 stars and the associated data appeared. Cool

So, it looks like your intuition was spot on - a degraded CDROM was the weak link in the chain. Cool

I will continue with the installation to set up my equipment and Import other Lists. Life is good again. Smile

Have a great day!

Dennis

PS - just had a look through my notes and it looks like the original SkyTools 3 Pro CDROMs were received in January 2009 - over 10 years ago.

RE: Observing List errors on Win 10 Desktop and Notebook - Dennis - 2019-07-08

UPDATE:
I suspect that the problem on the Win 10 Desktop PC (ST3 installed from CDROM in 2017) is that I had not browsed the Star Observing Lists on that PC since the install, hence the blanks/zeros issue lay dormant as the Deep Sky and Planetary Lists displayed correctly as I browsed them.

It was quite disconcerting when both the Desktop PC and the Notebook PC exhibited similar problems, I could not think of a failure mode that would lead to this (other than a Windows 10 Update Rolleyes )

All is well now on both PC's. Big Grin

Cheers

Dennis