Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removed scope showing up in log options
Hi I've removed a scope from the list.
But when I go to make a new log entry this telescope still comes up as the default option.

How do I fix this?

Thanks
Hi,

Did you create a new telescope of your own? If there are no telescopes, it will regenerate a default.

The default telescope usually depends on the context that you created the log entry from. Often the best way to create a log entry is via a right-click on an object in an observing list and then select "Quick Log Entry." The telescope will default to the one selected on the planner, real time, or other tool.

If there is no context, the default telescope is determined via the New Log Defaults dialog, which also doubles as the way to enter multiple log entries all at once. One way to open this dialog is via a right-click on an object in an observing list, but select "Create Log Entries." The selection for the telescope on this dialog sets the default in all cases where no telescope is known from the context in which you created your quick log entry. Or you can set it to "Ask" in which case you will always be prompted. Don't forget to click Save Defaults to save your default selections.

Clear skies,
Greg
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
(2019-10-20, 05:07 AM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi Greg,

Yes I did create a new telescope - I actually created 3 new ones - and this is one I eventually removed.
So I was surprised to see it show up as an option in the Quick log entry dialog

One of the scopes I have is the Celestron C8 SCT

So I have the planner open now - and Celestron C8 SCT is the scope displayed in the planner.
I right click on an object and choose "Create quick log entry"

The dialog box "Observer Log" opens with the parameters - date-time, observer, location, and scope displayed in the upper right corner of the box.  All of these corespond to the parameters in the planner except for the scope.  And in this case it displays the scope which I deleted.   These parameters are displayed as hyperlinks so I can click on the scope and choose edit.  And in the edit dialog box - the parameters for the scope I deleted are displayed.  So in this log entry path - if I want to use a different scope I have to use the edit dialog box and re-input all of the optical parameters of the Celestron 8C.   And I would have to do this every time I choose the "quick log entry" mode.

I think for now I will use the "Create Log Entries" mode since that allows me to select a given scope from the list.

But is there a way to totally remove from the "quick log entry" the scope I no longer have?

Thanks
Hi,

If you made log entries for that scope then it cannot be permanently removed. This is an important feature. Imagine that you accidentally delete a telescope, or change it in an important way, maybe by adding a new finder or eyepiece. You would not want all of your logs to become unusable because that scope no longer exists, nor would you want the updated scope to replace the one you actually used. So the telescope data is stored with your log entry to keep this from happening. If you access this log entry, the telescope may be added back to your list of telescopes, because the log parts of SkyTools depend on it.

But again, the way this is meant to work is via context. If you have your C8 set as the telescope on the planner, telescope chart, real time, etc. (I don't know what edition of SkyTools you are using) then when you create a "quick log entry" it will use that telescope. If you are creating a log entry in another way, say from the Log Browser, then that is not the best way to do it. Take advantage of the context.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
(2019-10-20, 04:15 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Thanks
The version is SkyTools 3 Standard Edition.
And I can say its definitly defaulting to that particular scope rather than the one displayed in the planner.
And I can select a different observing list  - and the Celestron 8C SCT is still displayed in the planner.
And when I right click on an object and select "Create Quick Log Entry" it defaults to the removed scope rather than the C8.

So I 'll switch to using the "Create Log Entry" mode (hot key M) instead.

And I can understand the system retaining a scope that has a log entry even if it is removed.

I'm curious - lets say there is only one log entry with that scope.
And lets say I delete that log entry
Would that remove that scope completly from the system?
Hi,

So I just tried this on my copy of SkyTools 3, and you are right. It is no longer working properly. In my case, it is always defaulting to the telescope that I have selected on the New Log Defaults dialog, unless I enter "Ask" for it. But in that case it asks rather than take the telescope from the planner as it should. I must have broken this in an update. People won't notice if they always use the default setting,

My suggestion for a work around is to open the New Log Defaults dialog and select your telescope there and then click Save Defaults. I will look into this and fix it in the next update.

And no, that would not delete the scope from your system. But if there were no log entries that depend on the scope you would be able to delete it elsewhere.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
(2019-10-20, 05:07 AM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi,

Did you create a new telescope of your own? If there are no telescopes, it will regenerate a default.

The default telescope usually depends on the context that you created the log entry from. Often the best way to create a log entry is via a right-click on an object in an observing list and then select "Quick Log Entry." The telescope will default to the one selected on the planner, real time, or other tool.

If there is no context, the default telescope is determined via the New Log Defaults dialog, which also doubles as the way to enter multiple log entries all at once. One way to open this dialog is via a right-click on an object in an observing list, but select "Create Log Entries." The selection for the telescope on this dialog sets the default in all cases where no telescope is known from the context in which you created your quick log entry. Or you can set it to "Ask" in which case you will always be prompted. Don't forget to click Save Defaults to save your default selections.

Clear skies,
Greg

Got it!

Thanks very much!