Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surface brightness of Veil Nebula (West) is 99.9
Hi Greg,

I just looked at the western part of the veil nebula in the Exposure Calculator and it couldn't estimate an exposure because the surface brightness is listed as 99.9 for the (V), ® and (Total) bands. The mag is listed as 7.0. The (V) band for the eastern portion is 19.2, the (total) is 18.0 and the mag is 7.0. The EC works with the eastern portion OK. The Imaging Project also shows 'Error' for the Exposure Time in the 'Filter' section of the 'Exposure Goals' tab. The "Info and Suggested Settings' box doesn't show the Surface Brightness data so it offers no clue about the source of the 'Error'. A screenshot of the Imaging Project tab is attached showing the 'Error'.

I don't know when the 99.9's entered the database, since I haven't looked at the Veil using the EC in a while. I just saw a nice photo of the Veil on the DPReview Astrophotography page & checked it out. I expect that the Veil will become a popular imaging target this summer.

Phil S.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Surface brightness of Veil Nebula (West) is 99.9 - by PMSchu - 2019-07-07, 07:39 PM