Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST4 availability
(2018-12-14, 04:16 PM)Lou Behrman Wrote: So, no hope for a visual product before 2019 rolls in?

Am trying to phrase this in a way that I don't come across as an impatient, insensitive you-know-what (begins with an "a" ends in an "e").  But my patience is wearing thin...

We traded replies back in August when the imaging version was being released and you had thought we'd at least be hearing more from you in the way of progress reports.  Now, almost 4 months later, not a peep.  Except for your recent comment where you want to make the product worth the wait.

Greg...  I understand that you want to release a product that is as close to problem free as possible.  I won't say perfect because we all know software is never perfect.  There are always problems.  But don't hang on to it to the point that we all lose interest.  

True story...  

When you said you'd try and give us more frequent progress reports, I was logging in to this forum on a daily basis.  That ended a month ago when the silence on this thread became deafening.  Now we've had the most recent spate of comments and now I'm sucked in again.  At least I was until I saw your comment.  All that did was make me mad...  As I noted in that previous comment back in August, that was the 2nd anniversary of you telling us about the coming upgrade (and me passing that news along to my club).  Now we're 28 months down the road and I feel like we're no closer (I know we're closer, just doesn't feel that way).  I don't mind being asked to be patient.  But you've been asking for my patience for over two years.  Sorry...

Here's a suggestion...  

Open up your beta pool.  I know you have a restricted group who have been doing your testing.  But by opening it up you'll get a couple of benefits.  A much wider sampling of test beds.  And you'll take some of the release pressure off of yourself.  You won't have me poking at you for updates because I'll be seeing, first-hand, what the problems are.  And maybe, just maybe, the problems you perceive aren't as significant as you think they are.  Just a thought...

Happy Holidays to you and your family.  ST3 is a great product.  I wouldn't be looking forward to ST4 as much if it weren't.  And thanks for all of your work...

Merry Christmas,

Lou Behrman
A Hardcore VISUAL Astronomer...

This is a form of public shaming and there really isn't any reason why you couldn't have unburdened yourself by privately contacting Greg with your grievances. I'd like to know in what way the quality of your visual observations have been compromised by using ST3. 

Dick
(2018-12-14, 05:52 PM)Telescopist Wrote: This is a form of public shaming and there really isn't any reason why you couldn't have unburdened yourself by privately contacting Greg with your grievances. I'd like to know in what way the quality of your visual observations have been compromised by using ST3. 

Dick

Hi Dick,

Allow me to answer for Lou. His video driver suffers from a bug that causes SkyTools 3 to not render lines and labels with the proper scaling on the charts. He is apparently changing screen resolution just for SkyTools 3 whenever he needs to use it. There is nothing I can do to fix this situation for him, short of releasing SkyTools 4 Visual. This is a very unfortunate thing and his frustration is reasonable. My own frustration includes his, believe me, and I understand it. I only wish him to understand that I am working as fast as I can, and that there is nothing I can do about how long it will take. This is my own fault for telling people it would not take longer than a few months in the first place!

From now on all I am going to say is the honest truth: it will be done when it is done, and not a minute before.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-12-14, 06:27 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi Dick,

Allow me to answer for Lou. His video driver suffers from a bug that causes SkyTools 3 to not render lines and labels with the proper scaling on the charts. He is apparently changing screen resolution just for SkyTools 3 whenever he needs to use it. There is nothing I can do to fix this situation for him, short of releasing SkyTools 4 Visual. This is a very unfortunate thing and his frustration is reasonable. My own frustration includes his, believe me, and I understand it. I only wish him to understand that I am working as fast as I can, and that there is nothing I can do about how long it will take. This is my own fault for telling people it would not take longer than a few months in the first place!

From now on all I am going to say is the honest truth: it will be done when it is done, and not a minute before.

Greg,

Thanks for that reply.  I was just trying to figure out how to lay the issue out for Dick and you beat me to it.

I know my issue is mainly cosmetic, but it is annoying.  And I feel, leaves my laptop's capabilities unused.  But as I said in my earlier post, ST3 is a great product.  And I use it as an active part of all of my observing runs.  I set the scope up.  Then fire up the laptop.  EVERY TIME.

If my earlier post came across as a "shaming" I apologize...  That really wasn't my intent.  Just trying to express things from my end.

Again, let me say I appreciate all of your hard work.  I know it can't be easy.

As for this thread, I'm out.  ST4 Visual will come when it comes.  I'll be first in line to buy it when it does.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,
Lou Behrman
Ambler, PA
17.5" f/4.1 TeleKit w/ Zambuto Primary (Ursa)
Explore Scientific AR127 riding on iOptron AZ Mount Pro
Hi Greg,

I'd be happy to serve as a beta tester of ST4Visual when it's ready for that stage, if you think it would be helpful. My pattern of software usage may differ from that of the other beta testers. I'm also retired & have plenty of time to play with it.

I'm enjoying using both ST3Pro & ST4i, they're great programs.

TIA,

Phil S.
Thanks for your support everyone. I am very sorry that it has not progressed faster and I am just as frustrated as you are, believe me. I will let everyone know when the beta testing starts.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hello Greg  Smile 

Any news for Skytools 4 Visual ?

I really love SkyTool v3.2k DL Pro Edition and for sûre I will go to SkyTools v4 Visual when it is ready.
I think the migration from SkyTools v3 Pro Edition (purchased a few years ago) to SkyTools v4 Visual will be at half price. That's what I understood in the previous posts.

Great job with SkyTools.
*** Jean-Pierre *** - SkyTools V3.2k DL Pro Edition -
(2019-03-31, 12:21 AM)Jean-Pierre Wrote: Hello Greg  Smile 

I really love SkyTool v3.2k DL Pro Edition and for sûre I will go to SkyTools v4 Visual when it is ready.
I think the migration from SkyTools v3 Pro Edition (purchased a few years ago) to SkyTools v4 Visual will be at half price. That's what I understood in the previous posts.

Great job with SkyTools.

At this point I am no longer making estimates. The next thing will be an announcement for a small, brief beta test, then it will be released.

Yes, upgrades to the same edition are half price.

Clear skies,
Greg
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Do you need any Southern Hemisphere Beta Testers? I am in NZ so happy to assist if needed.
(2019-05-03, 10:12 PM)ledge1962 Wrote: Do you need any Southern Hemisphere Beta Testers? I am in NZ so happy to assist if needed.

I will let you know if needed.

Thanks!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-03-31, 07:00 PM)theskyhound Wrote:
(2019-03-31, 12:21 AM)Jean-Pierre Wrote: Hello Greg  Smile 

Great job with SkyTools.

At this point I am no longer making estimates. The next thing will be an announcement for a small, brief beta test, then it will be released.

Yes, upgrades to the same edition are half price.

Clear skies,
Greg
 Let me know if you need another ST4 visual beta tester. Been using ST since it first came available and remain a big fan. For what it is worth, I have 30+ years of professional IT experience and have my own beta test work going on in my day job.