Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Composition and Tiles tab causes crash
I've been using ST4 4.0e without a problem for the past few weeks. Suddenly, when I try to view or build an Imaging Project and access the Composition and Tiles tab I immediately get a popup error sqrt: DOMAIN error. When I click OK it repeats the same error 3X, then displays log10: SING error. Clicking OK again returns the DOMAIN error message.  Clicking OK again causes the entire program to terminate.  I've rebooted with no change. I do not have Ransomware protection enabled, nor use Microsoft Onedrive.

The only activity I can associate with the change was that earlier today when I opened the Object Info window for a target and went to Images tab and tried to view the file I had downloaded previously I received a popup that said the file could not be found.  It gave me the option to relink, repair the link, or something like that, which I did.  I was then able to view the file.  It wasn't until later that I stumbled into the above described error when trying to view, edit or build a project.  I've tried to find where the pointer to the attachment folder is stored but haven't located it, thinking that may be the problem.   I deleted the Attachment folder and created a new one, but still receive the error and subsequent crash.

Any suggestions?
Hello,

This is something I have seen occur on a few occasions, but I have not Benn able to catch it in the debugger to determine what the cause is. You may be on to something linking it to the attachments. I am pretty sure the problem comes about when displaying the chart of the sky, and it could have to do with displaying images in the background.

Lets try a reset. Open the Preferences from the top-level Setup menu and click the Rest Defaults button. This will reset settings, such as the imaging system selected on the target selection tool, but you will not lose any custom data, such as the imaging system itself.

Let me know if that helps or not.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2020-01-08, 05:56 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

This is something I have seen occur on a few occasions, but I have not Benn able to catch it in the debugger to determine what the cause is. You may be on to something linking it to the attachments. I am pretty sure the problem comes about when displaying the chart of the sky, and it could have to do with displaying images in the background.

Lets try a reset. Open the Preferences from the top-level Setup menu and click the Rest Defaults button. This will reset settings, such as the imaging system selected on the target selection tool, but you will not lose any custom data, such as the imaging system itself.

Let me know if that helps or not.
Thanks for the quick reply.  I have not displayed the chart of the sky so doubt that was the cause.  But linking files to the images in the attachment file does seem like a likely cause.  I tried the Reset to Defaults but get the same problem as soon as I open the Composition and Tiles tab. Any other ideas? 

I'm considering doing a full reinstall and restoration of the Skytools 4 folder in Documents.  Do you think that might correct it?  I recall seeing your reply to another post about the database being a "web" of bin files and fear that web has been corrupted somehow. I don't want to reload the equipment and projects I've built if possible.  I hope the reinstall and restoration will preserve that data?
Following the aforementioned full re-install of the application it appeared to work correctly, but with no customized data, of course.  Following restoration of the previously saved Skytools 4 folder in Documents, to recover my Imaging Devices, Locations, etc., the same set of errors occurred.  On a whim, I decided to restore the folder one subfolder and file at a time.  To my surprise, only the comet.bin filed caused the problem.  I had never worked with or on comets, so if the file name is aligned with that then I'm perplexed.  When I leave the new comet.bin file in place, but restore the rest of the Skytools 4 files, it appears to work correctly!  

I have noticed that while I can find all my previously downloaded DSS image files in the Images folder, they are not linked to a folder or tied with the object.  Do I need to download them all again or can I somehow link them to the associated DSO and place in a folder?

In summary, my problem appears fixed, and was associated with a corrupted comet.bin file.
Hello John,

So that's unexpected, but I can see how a corruption of your comet database might cause this problem if a "bad" comet happened to be near the position of your target object. If you still have it, please send me the comet.bin file that causes the problem so that I can analyze it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2020-01-09, 04:41 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello John,

So that's unexpected, but I can see how a corruption of your comet database might cause this problem if a "bad" comet happened to be near the position of your target object. If you still have it, please send me the comet.bin file that causes the problem so that I can analyze it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks!
It was unexpected!   I've attached the requested file. 
.bin   comet.bin (Size: 560.09 KB / Downloads: 0)

Thanks for your attention and a very unique and useful application!