Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Imaging Systems
As a new user of SkyTools 4, I am unsure whether this capability exists.  What I would like to do is to setup a separate Target List for each Imaging System.  While I was able to create each list, apparently the Imaging System is a Global selection rather than being a part of the Target List.  Is that correct?  Is there a way to have a particular Imaging System have its own list of objects?  That way when I select that list it remembers the associated Imaging System?

Rod
(2020-02-10, 02:02 AM)rpg74133 Wrote: As a new user of SkyTools 4, I am unsure whether this capability exists.  What I would like to do is to setup a separate Target List for each Imaging System.  While I was able to create each list, apparently the Imaging System is a Global selection rather than being a part of the Target List.  Is that correct?  Is there a way to have a particular Imaging System have its own list of objects?  That way when I select that list it remembers the associated Imaging System?

Rod

Hi Rod. I think the capability certainly exists, but not quite the way that you are imagining it. I think most people start with the imaging system, selecting it at the top of the Target Selection tool, and then choose a list, rather than the other way around. One can imagine choosing a list and then filtering it down, perhaps showing only those objects that are good for that imaging system. If you right-click on the red check mark column header you can have it select (check) only those objects that are displayed. By right-clicking on a check-mark you can copy all of the selected objects-the ones that are good for this system-to a new list. This process could be repeated, filtering different lists to the new one or simply copying targets by checking them by hand, so that the new list only contains objects that are for that imaging system. While it is not possible to tie the new list to a specific imaging system, you could add the imaging system to the list name, e.g. "targets for my 16-inch." Hopefully that process can accomplish what you are wanting to do.

But I wonder if all of this is even all that necessary. After all, the list-based target selection tool is just the starting point. It is used to pick suitable targets, which are then turned into imaging projects.  Imaging Projects are tied to a specific imaging system, so once you create an imaging project, the next step (Scheduler or Real Time) is organized by imaging system, such that only the projects defined for one system are displayed. I think this is another way to accomplish pretty much the same thing, unless you are trying to do something unusual that I haven't encountered before. If so, feel free to tell me what that is.

One word of advice for those who are new to ST4 Imaging. When a tool is highly structured, it is important let it do for you what it does well by doing things in the way that is intended. It may take some time to learn what that way is. But if you buck the system and try to use it in some other way, you will do nothing but fight against it and you will not be happy. A big part of what makes it so useful is built into the workflow.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Quote:I think the capability certainly exists, but not quite the way that you are imagining it. I think most people start with the imaging system, selecting it at the top of the Target Selection tool, and then choose a list, rather than the other way around. One can imagine choosing a list and then filtering it down, perhaps showing only those objects that are good for that imaging system. If you right-click on the red check mark column header you can have it select (check) only those objects that are displayed. By right-clicking on a check-mark you can copy all of the selected objects-the ones that are good for this system-to a new list. This process could be repeated, filtering different lists to the new one or simply copying targets by checking them by hand, so that the new list only contains objects that are for that imaging system. While it is not possible to tie the new list to a specific imaging system, you could add the imaging system to the list name, e.g. "targets for my 16-inch." Hopefully that process can accomplish what you are wanting to do.

I have already done something similar to this.  I have created  a separate Target List for each Imaging System.  

Quote:But I wonder if all of this is even all that necessary. After all, the list-based target selection tool is just the starting point. It is used to pick suitable targets, which are then turned into imaging projects.  Imaging Projects are tied to a specific imaging system, so once you create an imaging project, the next step (Scheduler or Real Time) is organized by imaging system, such that only the projects defined for one system are displayed. I think this is another way to accomplish pretty much the same thing, unless you are trying to do something unusual that I haven't encountered before. If so, feel free to tell me what that is.

This is where the "problem" exists.  When I go to the Target List for Imaging System #1, I have to make sure that the Imaging System #1 is selected or else the information is not correct.  I then can create the Imaging Project for Imaging System #1 and all is well.  I then select the Target List for Imaging System #2 so I can create an Imaging Project.  I must remember to select Imaging System #2 or else the Scheduler will create another Imaging Project for Imaging System #1.  Since I have already created each Target List for a particular Imaging System, it would be great if that Imaging System was automatically selected when I return to that Target List.

Quote:One word of advice for those who are new to ST4 Imaging. When a tool is highly structured, it is important let it do for you what it does well by doing things in the way that is intended. It may take some time to learn what that way is. But if you buck the system and try to use it in some other way, you will do nothing but fight against it and you will not be happy. A big part of what makes it so useful is built into the workflow.

I agree.  However, "some" flexibility is also a good thing.  Not everyone's need is exactly the same.  So far, I have been impressed with ST4.  I can however see that while it may work great for people with single Imaging Systems, there could be some opportunities for improvement for those with multiple Imaging Systems.

Rod
You have planted the idea and I will keep it in mind as we move forward.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer