Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skytools 3 amd Meade Stella
Can skytools 3 control my 12" meade lx600? and if so, will it connect wirelessly thru the meade stella wifi adapter?

thanks

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

SkyTools, via ASCOM, can certainly control your LX600. There is an ASCOM driver here:

https://rppass.com/ASCOM/

and there may be others.

As for the Stella, that is a different thing altogether. It is a wifi adapter that as far as I know can only be used with their phone app.

It is described here:

https://www.meade.com/stella-wifi-adapter.html

And I think this is the key line:

"Designed for Meade computer-controlled GoTo telescopes, STELLA uses the WiFi capabilities built into iOS or Android device to point your telescope in the sky."

If you want to wirelessly control your telescope from a Windows device, such as a desktop, laptop or tablet, what you need is a wireless USB to serial adapter. This depends somewhat on your hand controller (Autostar II?) which is where one end will plug unto. The other end goes into the USB on your device. You can find these available by searching for USB to serial adapter.

There may be someone here with experience with your mount, and I hope they chime in. But often the best way to ask for help with these things is to find a forum where there are others who use the same mount so that you can learn from their specific experiences. Your question was about SkyTools, but since SkyTools uses ASCOM to command most mounts, it is really about using ASCOM with your scope.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Thanks Greg. So if I get the wireless USB to serial adapter, I can wirelessly control the scope with skytools and ascom?
Yes, as far as I can tell. But I'd check to make sure there is a serial port on the hand controller to plug it in to.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
ok - one last question - for now I think I will just go with the wiored connection. What cable do I need to connect the LX600 to my laptop? do you know?
(2018-05-01, 02:55 AM)rpsutton Wrote: ok - one last question - for now I think I will just go with the wiored connection. What cable do I need to connect the LX600 to my laptop? do you know?

Hi,

I'm not really an expert on cables. I suggest asking on a Meade forum of some kind, or Meade customer support.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer