Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uranus; Ariel, Miranda, Oberon, Titania and Umbriel
On 24th October 2017 I managed to record the 5 brighter satellites of Uranus; Ariel, Miranda, Oberon, Titania and Umbriel. SkyTools 3 Pro was used to confirm the positions of 4 of these, namely Ariel, Oberon, Titania and Umbriel. Smile

The following (edited) data was Copy/Pasted from ST3.

Uranus details:
Magnitude: 5.69
Size: 3.7"
Earth Distance: 18.9 AU
Diameter: 51118.0 km

Satellite details:
(Name/Mag/Angular separation)
Ariel                       14m3     11.2”
Miranda               16m7     09.5”
Oberon                14m1     41.9”
Titania                  13m9     23.4”
Umbriel                15m0     14.5”

Equipment details:
Takahashi Mewlon 210 F11.5.
TeleVue 2” Powermate x2.0
Efl 4830mm at F23

Camera details:
Atik 414EX Camera
Exposure 30sec
5 frames
Image scale of 0.28 arcsec/pixel

It was a tough job digging 16.7 magnitude Miranda out of the glare of the disc of Uranus but choosing the time of maximum elongation (9.5 arc secs) and favourable seeing, made the task feasible.

SkyTools has consistently plotted these fainter objects reliably and accurately compared to the other two Windows PC Planetarium programs that I also use. When chasing some of the more rare objects, it is comforting to know that I can rely on the accuracy of the SkyTools data. Smile

The ST3 overlay in the 1st image shows how accurate ST3 plotted the 4 brighter satellites of Uranus. Hey Greg – will Miranda be added in ST4? Wink

Thanks Greg, for such a fantastic, feature-rich program. Smile

Cheers

Dennis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Miranda? Did somebody say Miranda?

Other new satellites in ST4:

Jupiter: Elara, Pasiphae, Sinope, Lysithea, Carme, Ananke
Neptune: Nereid
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
I really enjoyed these images! I've been interested in viewing and imaging solar system moons.
cheers,
Blake

(2017-11-19, 10:12 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Miranda? Did somebody say Miranda?

Other new satellites in ST4:

Jupiter: Elara, Pasiphae, Sinope, Lysithea, Carme, Ananke
Neptune: Nereid

Hi Greg

Great news - thanks. I have found that SkyTools is consistently the most accurate of all the apps that I currently use for plotting and locating these somewhat fainter and less visited objects. Smile

How about Sycorax (Uranus) - I think this should be feasible with my rig although I may have to try from a dark sky sits as the light pollution in Brisbane is horrible.

Cheers

Dennis

(2017-11-25, 08:46 PM)blakesphere Wrote: I really enjoyed these images! I've been interested in view and imaging solar system moons.

Thanks Blake - it is quite extraordinary that amateur atronomers using relatively modest equipment can now locate and image these more exotic objects. Quite different to the era of the "Celestial Police".

Cheers

Dennis