Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Atlas orientation for Netwton/Dobson
Hi all,

I just don't get it straight in my brain so I have to ask a maybe easy question.
What orientation do I have to choose on the interaktive atlas of Skytools, when I observe with a Newton on a dobsonian mount?
Flip vertical, flip horizontal or both?

Thanks an always cs,
Uli
Hello,

First, please be aware of the Finder charts that are customized for your telescope that includes an eyepiece view, and the Context Viewer (another eyepiece view) that is opened from the atlas, each of which automatically displays the correct orientation. These are much preferred when comparing to what you see in your telescope because they also display stars and other objects to the limit of the telescope at that moment in time.

Regarding your question, most telescopes display a view that is rotated by 180 degrees, so switch both the up/down and the left/right. The exception is when you have some sort of mirror diagonal, which is not likely with a Dob. The mount doesn't matter.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,
thanks for your reply. I already use the context viewer but it shows much more than I see in the eyepiece, current conditions (Moon Button) activated.
I will recheck the settings anyway. Probably something wrong there. Thanks for the clarification concerning the orientation in a newtonian telescope.
btw, if you look for beta testers (visual observing) I can help.
I am looking forward to version 4 of your great piece of software!

Best Regards and cs,
Uli
Hi,

Please don't just assume the software doesn't work correctly. If it shows significantly more or less than you can see then you don't have things set up correctly. The major culprits are:

1. Sky Brightness (location settings)
2. Telescope aperture (telescope settings -- check the units!)
3. You have to be careful to compare apples to apples. Be sure to make your comparisons for the same location, same night, and same time)
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

I once worked as a supporter for soft- and hardware. We had a saying: The Problem is 60cm (54") in front of the screen.
I mean, I do not assume the software works not correct.
It was my fault, the Sky Brightness settings have been set too optimistic by me. I just changed the settings an will test it next time I will have clear skies here in bavaria.

cs,
Uli