Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SkyTools 4 Imaging now Available
I am very happy to announce that after four years of development, SkyTools 4 Imaging is now available.

As I developed the imaging part of SkyTools 4, the visual observing and imaging parts diverged so much that it became impossible to keep them together in the same product. SkyTools 4 became two separate products, one for imaging and one for visual observing.

SkyTools 4 Visual will be available later this fall.

SkyTools Imaging is a pretty big deal. At its heart is a completely new, much more accurate, and carefully tested imaging model. It also has a new workflow approach that is unlike anything else. Your projects will be much more highly organized. It will keep track of your progress, and it is easy to look up what you have previously imaged.

It supports DSLR imaging on a tripod, a camera piggybacked on a telescope, multiple focal extenders/reducers, and any filter (including narrow band).   

It has an advanced scheduler that will always maximize your SNR, not via the simple theoretical equations that people use, but by using the model to try different choices. For example, one thing people seldom consider is the time lost between exposures when reading out the camera, which turns out to have a major impact on how much SNR can be achieved in the real world when using short exposures.

SkyTools 4 Imaging controls your telescope directly, guiding you as you observe. It can generate ACP plans from its schedule for upload to ACP. It can directly submit your projects to ACP Expert Scheduler, intelligently calculating the Scheduler constraints in ways that a mere human can't approach.

For Itelescope.net users, it can generate a schedule for your reservation, then write an ACP plan that can be uploaded to the iTelescope. We monitor equipment changes to all twenty telescopes and they are automatically updated via the internet if a change occurs. There is even a tool that can pick the best telescope to use for a given target object.

It is my hope that you will no longer waste time observing targets that are not suitable to your imaging system, obtain higher quality images, better keep track of the projects you are working on, and in the end have a useful archive of your completed projects.

Clear skies,
Greg
Great stuff Greg - thanks for the hard work and time put into this.

I just downloaded the Upgrade to V4 and it installed as V4, so I assume my (current/old) V3 Installation is a separate entity.

Also took the option to install the Extended Data (3.4GB) and that is still downloading as I type.

Cheers

Dennis
Hi Greg

I just installed SkyTools 4 Imaging as an upgrade from ST3Pro and the download and installation all appeared to work oky.

However, when I try to set my Location as Brisbane, I am having a problem.
I select Brisbane and this creates an entry (in addition to the as-shipped Mesa Redonda).
I then delete Mesa Redonda leaving just Brisbane in the Favourite Locations Panel.
I close the Panel but when I re-open it, Mesa Redonda re-appears and is the default in the Favourites Panle.
I tried exiting ST4 but the same behaviour occurs.
That is, Mesa Redonda will not physically delete to leave behind just my preferred location Brisbane.

Cheers

Dennis
Hi Greg

I am experiencing a strange problem when selecting SBIG CCD Camera to OTA.

When I choose CCD “SBIG ST-2000XM w/TC237 guider” the Camera Model is set to “Artemis 285” and the “Detector ICX285AL (default)” and not the SBIG Camera that I selected.

Details:
After entering my Tak Mewlon 210 (the only entry in the list) I select “Camera” (which has a default of ZWO ASI178) and then choose “Get Camera from pool”.

In the CCD Tab I scroll down to “SBIG ST-2000XM w/TC237 guider”, I highlight it and then press “Use this Camera”.

This returns me to the “Edit Camera Data” Panel but the Camera Model is set to Artemis 285 and the Detector ICX285AL (default) and not the SBIG Camera that I selected.

I have tried this several times but encounter the same issue.

Cheers

Dennis
Hi Greg

I posted about an issue I was having with deleting an observing location. I think this has been now "fixed" as I moved through the application and deleted all "as shipped" instruments and entered my own Mewlon 210. At a guess, it would appear to be a referential/relationship database issue where the site was being used by other parts of the system.

I now have my Brisbane and Back Garden locations as expected, all else is clean.

Cheers

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

I am glad to hear that you have your locations working correctly! I moved your other message to the SkyTools 4 support forum. It is way too easy for me to lose track of support threads if they are scattered all over. :-) I will post a reply there soon.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Thanks Greg, I jumped into ST4 without reading the ST4 User Manual and so carried my current ST3 concepts and understanding forward, until I began to read the ST4 manual where you cover the integrated system approach. Lesson learned - read the manual. LOL!

Cheers

Dennis.
Congratulations on the release Greg! I've requested the upgrade from my ST3 Pro license and am looking forward to using ST4 for my Fall imaging projects Smile !

Rowland