Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this plan make sense?
I created a Ha-O3 plan for the Crescent Nebula. I set a SNR for O3 to 30 and Ha for 60. The plan created 6 x 9 minute subs for the O3 and 167 x 20 second subs for the Ha. This seems strange but maybe not? This is with an f/6.7 refractor and the ASI1600 camera. Maybe I shouldn't set different SNRs per filter?
Hi,

The best way to answer this sort of question is with the Exposure Calculator. Right-click on the schedule to open the calculator. Then you can do things like try different subs to see how that affects the SNR.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-09-14, 01:12 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi,

The best way to answer this sort of question is with the Exposure Calculator. Right-click on the schedule to open the calculator. Then you can do things like try different subs to see how that affects the SNR.

Cool! Thanks. 

One others question I haven’t found an answer to yet. Can ST alternate exposures and not do all of one filter at a time?

OK playing around in the Exposure Calculator for the Eastern Veil. Just a quick note, the "Help" button doesn't seem to do anything.
(2018-09-14, 04:04 PM)waynehixson Wrote:

Cool! Thanks. 

One others question I haven’t found an answer to yet. Can ST alternate exposures and not do all of one filter at a time?

The algorithm is designed to maximize SNR, and this works best in blocks for each exposure. What is the advantage of rotating filters? Are you doing photometry?
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2018-09-15, 04:46 PM)theskyhound Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 04:04 PM)waynehixson Wrote:

Cool! Thanks. 

The algorithm is designed to maximize SNR, and this works best in blocks for each exposure. What is the advantage of rotating filters? Are you doing photometry?
The advantage of alternating is that you can get at least a partially complete set of images in case of weather or other interruption.