Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minor Planet List type ID request
Doing minor planet astrometric work, I will often use SkyTools3 to generate an observing list of minor planets (alongside of the Minor Planet Centers list generator). I concentrate mainly on NEO's and use the database search tool to put my list together, I am able to single out what particular type asteroids are, Aten's, Apollo's etc. However when I generate my list, the only ID shown of the minor planets selected is the name and or number ID. Is there a way to also list what type of asteroid it is? For example, I print out a list of asteroids visible for the night. While I could see what type of each was in the database search, once I create the list and print it, I only have names and numbers, nothing to tell me the types. It would be great if the types were also listed. Maybe I am overlooking something.

Thanks and best regards,
Randy
Hello,

Displaying the orbit type in the observing list is a feature of SkyTools 4.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Big Grin Looking forward to SkyTools4!

Regards,
Randy

(2018-01-03, 02:03 AM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

(2018-01-03, 07:16 PM)ncwolfie Wrote: Big Grin Looking forward to SkyTools4!

Regards,
Randy

(2018-01-03, 02:03 AM)theskyhound Wrote: Hello,

I've been doing minor planet astrometry for the last year using ST4, including NEOCP/PCCP objects. So SkyTools has sort of cut its teeth on it, so to speak. I think you are going to like it.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound
Does the possibility exist for adding objects from the NEOCP confirmation page to an observing list?

Regards,
Randy
(2018-01-05, 02:25 PM)ncwolfie Wrote: Does the possibility exist for adding objects from the NEOCP confirmation page to an observing list?

Regards,
Randy

Yes. It works by adding the NEOCP object to the Minor Planet database, so you will need a set of orbital elements. Bill Gray supplies a variety of web resources for computing elements for these objects. So what you do is to copy/paste them into the SkyTools database. Once in the database you can use it like any other minor planet. There is also a tool to remove NEOCP objects from the database once there is a provisional designation.
Clear skies,
Greg
Head Dude at Skyhound