Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SkyTools .stx file attachments now supported
I have added support for SkyTools Export format files (.stx) to this forum. Please note that while SkyTools 4 can read most SkyTools 3 stx files, the reverse is not true.

As a test I have attached the Permian observing list consisting of the brighter galaxies with look back times to approximately the Permian period of earth history. 

To read this file into ST4: 

1. Save the attachment to your computer

2. Start SkyTools 4 and select the Target Selection tool

3. Press "Get Target Lists" and select "Read from SkyTools .stx file"

4. Browse to the folder where you saved Permian.stx and select the file

5. Click Import

Open the list in the Target Selection tool by selecting the Permian list

Attached Files
.stx   Permian.stx (Size: 333 bytes / Downloads: 5)
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

I was able to successfully download & import the permian.stx file. It opened with no problems as a Target List. What is the effect of several hundred million years in the life of a galaxy? Are the galaxies supposed to look different or brighter? Would they exhibit some proper motion in that time? I tried to place a Skymark to see if I could detect a position shift, but didn't see one for NGC 682.

Anyway the .stx file test was successful, thanks.

Have a Happy New Year!

Phil S.
(2018-12-30, 11:46 PM)theskyhound Wrote: I have added support for SkyTools Export format files (.stx) to this forum. Please note that while SkyTools 4 can read most SkyTools 3 stx files, the reverse is not true.

As a test I have attached the Permian observing list consisting of the brighter galaxies with look back times to approximately the Permian period of earth history. 

5. Click Import

When I select Target Selection Tool, I don't have a 'Get Target Lists' option. Running 4.0c  Suggestions?

TomC
(2019-02-10, 09:45 PM)tcchittyjr Wrote:
(2018-12-30, 11:46 PM)theskyhound Wrote: I have added support for SkyTools Export format files (.stx) to this forum. Please note that while SkyTools 4 can read most SkyTools 3 stx files, the reverse is not true.

5. Click Import

When I select Target Selection Tool, I don't have a 'Get Target Lists' option. Running 4.0c  Suggestions?

TomC

Look for it just above the observing list columns. There will be a series of controls and menu buttons, starting with "List Functions" on the left. It is the fourth one over. If for some reason it really isn't there please upload aa screen capture so that I can better understand what is going on.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-02-10, 09:51 PM)theskyhound Wrote:
(2019-02-10, 09:45 PM)tcchittyjr Wrote:

5. Click Import

TomC

Look for it just above the observing list columns. There will be a series of controls and menu buttons, starting with "List Functions" on the left. It is the fourth one over. If for some reason it really isn't there please upload aa screen capture so that I can better understand what is going on.

I see it now. So sorry for the confusion on my part. I'm working with ST4 Imaging now to get ready for my dark sky sight. Great software!

TomC
Hi Greg,

I have old SkyTools 3 stx files. How can I read them in SkyTools 4? I have recently upgraded the version to the latest and need to continue working on some projects (getting back to the drafts basically). Should I perhaps convert them somehow?

Thanks.
(2019-02-22, 06:37 AM)TerryLewis Wrote: Hi Greg,

I have old SkyTools 3 stx files. How can I read them in SkyTools 4? I have recently upgraded the version to the latest and need to continue working on some projects (getting back to the drafts basically). Should I perhaps convert them somehow?

Thanks.

Hi Terry,

See the first post in this thread for the instructions for how to read SkyTools 3 .stx files. Just substitute your .stx files for the one in the example.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer