Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZWO Filters
Hello Greg,
    I've just purchased ST4 and setting up my equipment, I've been unable to find ZWO filters listed,    in ur tutorial you mentioned you could supply  filter data if required, is this still the case, or am i missing something?   My filters are the "new" ZWO LRGB set.

Regards Russ
Hi,

I will put these on the list, assuming there are scans available for them.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
G'day Greg,  
                 you mentioned in a previous thread that it may be possible to produce our own filter data files, is this something an amateur can do and if so what is the process, I can't find  anything on in the help files.

Regards Russ
Hi Russ,

There is an entry in the Help Section that describes how to edit a Filter. I found it under 'Dialogs' -> 'Imaging System Dialog' -> 'Edit Camera Data' -> 'Edit Filter Dialog'. This describes how to construct a .txt file that contains your filter data.

I haven't tried this, so I don't know that it will work, but good luck Smile .

If you click the 'Help' button in the 'Assign Filters' section, you'll get info about setting up your 'Subscriptions' instead. Something for a future update, I guess Smile .

Phil S.
Thx for the heads up Phil,

Not sure how to go about this, I cant find the data for the existing filters to have a look at, and  I need filter data form Zwo which I can't locate.

Cheers Russ
Hi Russ,

Yes, without the filter transmission data you're stuck. A shame that ZWO doesn't provide the transmission curves.

Do you have any friends with a spectrophotometer Smile ?

Phil S.
I will contact them for the transmission curves and also try my contacts for more info. I didn't even know that ZWO was making filters!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

How much variation is there between different sets of LRGB filters? Is everyone buying stock from Schott, for example, and cutting it up for sale or do they each have separate manufacturing facilities? I don't do LRGB imaging so I haven't paid attention. I know there are several companies that sell them. How tight are their specs?

Phil S.
(2019-01-07, 08:38 PM)PMSchu Wrote: Hi Greg,

How much variation is there between different sets of LRGB filters? Is everyone buying stock from Schott, for example, and cutting it up for sale or do they each have separate manufacturing facilities? I don't do LRGB imaging so I haven't paid attention. I know there are several companies that sell them. How tight are their specs?

Phil S.

Hi Phil,

That's a good question. From what I have seen when digitizing LRGB filters, there are differences in the widths of the filters, and some, particularly older filters, tend to have much less transmission. The biggest difference appears to be in what emissions lines are included in each filter. As I recall, some Green filters pass a lot more OIII than others, for instance.

You should be able to get by with another set until we get these digitized though.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
I did a little digging and found this for the "new" ZWO filters: https://www.bintel.com.au/wp-content/upl...00x573.jpg
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer