Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System freezing at view chart
Hi,
I'm noticing an issue - I've been wanting to look at charts much more lately.
And I've noticed the system has a problem with some objects.
From what I see so far - it appears with all objects I can select Naked Eye chart, and Interactive chart.
And one of the telescopes in the db is a 102mm refractor.
That chart seems to open up with no problem.
But I have another telescope which is a 10" reflector - and when I select chart for that scope with certain objects the chart is totally black and the application freezes - and I have to use the OS task-manager to drop it.

Any suggestions?
So this is definitely a support issue: when thngs freeze up or crash. That's why I moved it. I hope you don't mind. It may just be a bad setting somewhere. In order to help I need some additional info:

1. What version of SkyTools are you running? It sounds like SkyTools 3. Standard Edition, Pro?

2. Please attach a screen capture of the Telescopes dialog with the 10-inch selected.

3. Please attach a screen capture of the Telescope Report for this same telescope (press the Report button).

Thanks,
Greg
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-02-02, 08:42 PM)dw_Skyhound Wrote: Hi,
I'm noticing an issue - I've been wanting to look at charts much more lately.
And I've noticed the system has a problem with some objects.
From what I see so far - it appears with all objects I can select Naked Eye chart, and Interactive chart.
And one of the telescopes in the db is a 102mm refractor.
That chart seems to open up with no problem.
But I have another telescope which is a 10" reflector - and when I select chart for that scope with certain objects the chart is totally black and the application freezes - and I have to use the OS task-manager to drop it.

Any suggestions?

I think I figured it out - it may be I had the eyepiece view zoomed in too much for some of the objects.
For the chart to display the large amount of star data on that view - it was perhaps taking a number of minutes to load all that info on the chart.
I pulled back the zoom and I think its working normally now.
Hi,

I'm glad you have things working again. What you say makes sense, but I think you mean in the reverse. If zoomed out too much too many stars are drawn, so you need to zoom in. When this happens, there is a red icon at the bottom of the window that you can click to abort the chart drawing. You may need wait even after clicking, but eventually the chart will finish. Then the best thing to do is to press the "b" key on the keyboard, which will immediately return the view to the "best" zoom selection.

Clear skies,
Greg
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-02-02, 09:10 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi,

I'm glad you have things working again. What you say makes sense, but I think you mean in the reverse. If zoomed out too much too many stars are drawn, so you need to zoom in. When this happens, there is a red icon at the bottom of the window that you can click to abort the chart drawing. You may need wait even after clicking, but eventually the chart will finish. Then the best thing to do is to press the "b" key on the keyboard, which will immediately return the view to the "best" zoom selection.

Clear skies,
Greg

Thank you Greg!
I didn't know that!

Much appreciate!

(2019-02-03, 02:38 AM)dw_Skyhound Wrote:
(2019-02-02, 09:10 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Hi,

Clear skies,
Greg

Thank you Greg!
I didn't know that!

Much appreciate!

Say Greg - can I ask another question.
I've tried several times to right-click on an object and select "Down Load Image"
I watch the process and it indicates its trying to acquire the image but eventually ends up indicating "Unable to Download Image"

To my knowledge I don't have any firewall etc blocking internet access - am I missing a step somewhere?
Try a different DSS image filter/type. E.g. a Red rather than a Blue filters. Sometimes a survey isn't complete in a given filter and may fail in a part of the sky where no images are available.

Also try a different DSS image server. The server you are using may simply be down.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer