Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current list issues with ST3
There seem to be some issues with the current lists and ST3. I am not sure if this is because all the effort is  now only on ST4I but the Current nova and supernova list in ST3 only shows one object whereas in ST 4 it shows about 50. The current comet list in ST3 only shows 5 whereas ST 4 current comets shows 9. 

This is from the number of objects in the list not what the filters are set too. Unfortunately these were some of the most useful features in ST3 and if they are being deprecated in the chase for ST4 it makes if very difficult for us non imagers.

Owen
Hello Owen,

I fully and completely support SkyTools 3, so there is no need to worry. When SkyTools 4 Visual comes out, I will stop updating SkyTools 2 current lists. SkyTools 2 was replaced by SkyTools 3 in 2009...

The comets this month are very sparse, that's all. There are fewer comets available that are brighter than 15th magnitude than I have seen in any month since I started my Comet Chasing web page nearly twenty years ago.

The difference between SkyTools 3 and SkyTools 4 Imaging is that I chose to go a little fainter this month for SkyTools 4 Imaging. But those extra comets that made it in were all fading very quickly and only available for imaging at the beginning of the month, so I could easily have left them out. It was just a spur of the moment decision. None of them are visual comets.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Does this also apply to the current SN and Nova list where there is one in the ST3 list and 39 in the St4 list? I know this i not a problem with my installation because a friend contacted me about it.

Owen
(2019-05-06, 08:40 AM)obrazell Wrote: Does this also apply to the current SN and Nova list where there is one in the ST3 list and 39 in the St4 list? I know this i not a problem with my installation because a friend contacted me about it.

Owen

The current supernovae lists are automated via two different programs, one for ST4 and one for ST3. It looks like something has gone wrong with the ST3 version. I just re-ran it and it still only only finds one supernova. I'll look into it.

Thanks for letting me know.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
In the past few months we've been lucky to have several bright comets in the sky at the same time such as 46P/Wirtanen and Iwamoto. This is very unusual. Things are apparently returning to 'normal'.

Phil S.
(2019-05-06, 08:40 AM)obrazell Wrote: Does this also apply to the current SN and Nova list where there is one in the ST3 list and 39 in the St4 list? I know this i not a problem with my installation because a friend contacted me about it.

Owen

I found the problem with the ST3 Current Nova & Supernova list and it should be fixed now. Thank you for reporting it!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
cool thanks it works now.

Owen