Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with IQ Filter
When I turn on Night Filters and select IQ >= C it shows ONLY C, no A or B, same with any selection. If I select IQ>=any, it shows only F. I'm sure I probably have some setting wrong but I can't find it.

Thanks, Wayne
Hello Wayne,

Well then, mind blown. I just tried this myself and got the same result. I know it wasn't doing this before, because I have been using it and it was working fine! I am looking into it now.

Thanks for letting me know.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Thanks! I think maybe a “>” just got lost somewhere. ?
(2019-05-06, 04:10 PM)waynehixson Wrote: Thanks! I think maybe a “>” just got lost somewhere. ?

If so, then I somehow missed that problem all this time... but I do tend to work with an IQ=A, so I guess that's possible. I'll find out either way soon!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hello Wayne,

I looked at the code and now see what's going on. In the last update I made a subtle change to how the IQ selection works, but had forgotten about it. The IQ selection sets the minimum IQ threshold and then displays the duration that the object is available at that IQ, so you are in fact fixing the IQ at your selection. So the short answer is that what you are seeing is normal. If you set a minimum IQ of "B" then "B" will appear in the IQ column.

The idea is that the Duration column displays how long the object is at the IQ you specify. The IQ column next to it reminds of us what the Duration refers to. If it we set the minimum IQ to "B" then the Duration will be for the "B or better" period of the night and the IQ column will be set to "B".

An example is probably the best way to explain it:

During the night M27 is:

At an IQ of A for an hour.
At an IQ of B or better for a total of two hours.
Etc.

If we specify and IQ of "A" and a minimum duration of one hour, what we are doing is filtering out objects that are not at "A" for at least an hour. In our example, M27 would just pass this test and not be filtered out. The Duration column will display the duration at an IQ of "A", which will be one hour. The IQ column will be set to "A" to remind us that the Duration refers to the time at "A".

If we specify an IQ of "B" and a minimum duration of 1 hour, what we are doing is filtering out objects that are not at "A or B" for at least 1 hour. The Duration column now refers to the total time above an IQ of "B" which would be 2 hours. The IQ column will be set to "B" to remind us that the Duration refers to the time at "B".

The confusion comes because when we turn off the Night filter it automatically selects the top IQ that can be reasonably achieved and displays that in the IQ column so that we will know what the Duration refers to. E.g. if the IQ column says "B" then the Duration tells us how long it will be at "B".

I apologize for the confusion. I need to update the Help to better describe how this works.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer