Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crash following ASCOM disconnection (+ unable to abort slew)
Two different problems but part of the same use case so to avoid duplication, I'll list them both here.

Software:
  • Skytools 4.0d on Windows 10 64-bit.
  • ASCOM platform 6.4.0.2618
  • Celestron CPWI 2.1.25 

Telescope: Celestron Evolution 8", controlled via CPWI connected over a USB cable (to the Celestron Focuser acting as a USB hub to control the mount).

I wanted to check if Skytools works with the above so I was indoor. 
  1. I connected to the scope with CPWI; didn't align. 
  2. I started Skytools, went to the Real Time Imaging and under Telescope Control, I chose ASCOM Supported Telescope and in the ASCOM popup dialog, I chose CPWI. Clicked OK (there's nothing to configure). 
  3. I clicked Connect to Telescope. It was successful.
  4. I chose Vega as a target and clicked Slew To (to test the control). The mount started to slew.
  5. Problem #1: clicking on Abort Slew did nothing. I clicked repeatedly. The mount kept moving and there was no visual indication that the attempt was processed. I am interested in this in case one day I need to do an emergency stop.
  6. Problem #2: I turned off the mount to do what I'd do in real life. Got a pop-up box "Must be connected to telescope to use Right Ascension". OK, normal. Once I clicked ok in this dialog, I got a second one with an error (the red circle with an X): "Skytools has encountered a fatal error: GetScopePos failed. Skytools will now close"
  7. I clicked ok and Skytools closed.

Thanks for looking into it.
Hello,

Let me first say that it is often a bad idea to do testing without an alignment. Doing so can cause unusual problems. Also, it is important to understand that to SkyTools ASCOM is a black box. SkyTools does not even know what mount is connected. All SkyTools does is send generic commands, like "slew here" and the rest is handled via ASCOM.

Problem 1: When you abort the slew, SkyTools simply sends the abort command to ASCOM. It is up to the ASCOM driver to actually abort the slew. So you need to contact the author of the ASCOM driver you are using to further investigate this issue.

Problem 2: You must always disconnect (via the Real Time menu) before you turn off the mount. Otherwise SkyTools will ask for the position of the mount, and get no answer. In this case, at the behest of SkyTools, the ASCOM driver asked the mount for the position. When it did not receive an answer it passed a fatal error back to SkyTools. SkyTools handles fatal errors by closing in order to avoid error cascades. Again, this behavior is defined by the ASCOM driver.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-05-29, 03:53 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Problem 2: You must always disconnect (via the Real Time menu) before you turn off the mount. Otherwise SkyTools will ask for the position of the mount, and get no answer. In this case, at the behest of SkyTools, the ASCOM driver asked the mount for the position. When it did not receive an answer it passed a fatal error back to SkyTools. SkyTools handles fatal errors by closing in order to avoid error cascades. Again, this behavior is defined by the ASCOM driver.

Is there any negative impact to the application configuration caused by this unexpected shutdown? I'm thinking of cases when a cable gets disconnected accidentally. If it's just a matter of restarting SkyTools, then the inconvenience is insignificant. 

Thanks.
(2019-05-29, 09:05 PM)razvan Wrote:
(2019-05-29, 03:53 PM)theskyhound Wrote: Problem 2: You must always disconnect (via the Real Time menu) before you turn off the mount. Otherwise SkyTools will ask for the position of the mount, and get no answer. In this case, at the behest of SkyTools, the ASCOM driver asked the mount for the position. When it did not receive an answer it passed a fatal error back to SkyTools. SkyTools handles fatal errors by closing in order to avoid error cascades. Again, this behavior is defined by the ASCOM driver.

Is there any negative impact to the application configuration caused by this unexpected shutdown? I'm thinking of cases when a cable gets disconnected accidentally. If it's just a matter of restarting SkyTools, then the inconvenience is insignificant. 

Thanks.

As long as the ASCOM driver is implemented correctly, it will send an error to SkyTools that will cause it to harmlessly close.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer