Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jupiter GRS Longitude
Phil,

That's true, June 30 at 12 UT = 181.008 day of the year, which divided by 365.25 days/yr = 0.496 yr. I was just reporting a couple of miscellaneous facts, (1) what's in the GRS.dat file and (2) the current (30-June-2019) WinJUPOS GRS longitude, which happen to give the same GRS longitude. Yes, it seemed slightly odd that they were the same despite the nominal 0.1 year difference (a bit more than a month), but I wasn't interested in pursuing it further since Greg is still sorting out the GRS situation.
Joe Stieber
http://sjastro.org/
Hi Joe,

FYI when I started ST4i today the GRS data was listed as updated 1 July 2019. Hopefully this will bring it into agreement with WinJUPOS.

Phil S.
(2019-07-01, 04:10 PM)PMSchu Wrote: Hi Joe,

FYI when I started ST4i today the GRS data was listed as updated 1 July 2019. Hopefully this will bring it into agreement with WinJUPOS.

Phil S.

Please see my post above where I explain and address this issue. It will require an update to fix.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

What I meant was that an updated GRS value for today should allow the interpolation/extrapolation routine to be reasonably correct for today, unless the error is serious enough to introduce a big error within one day. An error that serious I would have expected to be caught during the initial testing. You wrote the code, so I defer to your judgment.

I was just trying to offer a fellow ST4i user some assistance.

Phil S.
Greg,

I started ST4 this evening and there was an update notice, so I installed it and now have version 4.0e. The GRS longitude, and hence the GRS position as displayed on the Jovian disc, is now appropriate for the selected date/time. As anticipated, the actual GRS longitude is directly displayed next to the GRS angle in the Object Information box (user calculation no longer needed). Nice!

Thanks for your quick action to fix this.

Joe
Joe Stieber
http://sjastro.org/
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the report. You beat me to it!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer