Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obstructed horizon markers not visible
Hi Greg,

With 4.0e on Windows with the default colour scheme. According to the help, when drawing it in the overhead sky chart, "this horizon will have small boxes at regular intervals drawn on it.". However, these boxes do not appear, see the attached screenshot. The boxes are there, if I move the mouse carefully where they should be, the cursor's shape changes and I can drag them and then they become momentarily visible. But when I stop dragging the line, they disappear once again.

Also, a suggestion: when there is a line for the obstructed horizon, it's displayed in a thin light blue, close to the colour of the Milky Way contour and generally harder to distinguish on the chart's grey background. I'd suggest that instead of a line, to make the obstructed area opaque. It doesn't have to be completely opaque, you can set an alpha there, but the idea is that instead of a line, to hide the entire area that's obstructed. 

Clear skies,
Razvan

Hello,

I will look into the missing drag boxes.

As for the line, you can customize it, just as you can with any other part of the chart, via the Chart Preferences. Select the horizon line to customize. The color can be changed, the line style, and its width.

Regarding making the obstructed area opaque, I considered this, but I believe it is more useful to be able to see into the obstructed areas. For example, you could note that an object is about to rise above the line.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
OK, thanks for the reminder that I can change the style (it was the horizon line, I didn't realize it applied to the obstructed horizon, that's fine).

I tried changing the style of the horizon line to something more visible but then I noticed it was too distracting when looking at the chart, the visible line was catching my attention so from a pure visual standpoint, I'd still vote for partial opacity of the obstructed area, it'd still allow displaying objects through it, but it doesn't attract the attention. That said, from a product development perspective I know there are more important features so I can leave with it as it is know. I'll probably change the style to a visible line, define the horizon, then change it back. I mainly need the obstructed horizon for planning purposes, not to look closely at the line.

Clear skies,
Razvan
Hello,

A couple of things:

You can easily turn the horizon line on/off via the View Controls, which is a better solution than changing its properties.

Also, it is very difficult for me to imagine a scenario in planning where the chart would be more useful than the planning tools that have been provided via the Target Selection and Scheduler tools. Both of these planning tools consider your obstructed horizon. Sometimes people miss key features, so I urge you to have a look at these tools again to make sure that hasn't happened. On other occasions people sometime want to force a new software to work the way they have worked in the past, and when they do so, they can rob themselves of much of the benefit of the software. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
(2019-08-11, 07:01 AM)theskyhound Wrote: You can easily turn the horizon line on/off via the View Controls, which is a better solution than changing its properties.

Also, it is very difficult for me to imagine a scenario in planning where the chart would be more useful than the planning tools that have been provided via the Target Selection and Scheduler tools. Both of these planning tools consider your obstructed horizon. Sometimes people miss key features, so I urge you to have a look at these tools again to make sure that hasn't happened. On other occasions people sometime want to force a new software to work the way they have worked in the past, and when they do so, they can rob themselves of much of the benefit of the software. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them!

I'll do that, thanks. With the second comment I fully agree, in my case I use the Target Selection for planning, that's why I wanted to define the horizon, to take the inaccessible targets out. I was just commenting about the visual impact but the combination of a visible line that's on and off works fine. 

Clear skies,
Razvan