Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightly List Generator omitting goodies
When I generate a list using Nightly Observing List Generator, obvious objects, like Albireo, Epsilon Lyra (the double double), Ring Nebula, don't show up. Why is that? I've tried selecting each option: Showpieces, Interesting Deep Sky, Interesting Stars, Double Stars, they don't show up in any of them. Could it be because these are normally summer objects? Even though they're high in the sky this time of year, too.
Lots of reasons, actually. But the first thing you might try is to reset the filters!

1. Ensure you're in the Nightly Planner tab.
2. Ensure the date/time and location are correct.
3. Click the main menu button (blue triangle beside Observing List).
4. Choose Reset Filters.

If that doesn't show the entries, I'd have a close look at the location. Did you create a new location profile recently? If so, verify the longitude.

Hope that helps.
cheers,
Blake

1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. Check
Lattitude is correct: Showing results for latitude longitude richmond, va
Richmond/Coordinates
37.5407° N, 77.4360° W

Date is for evening of 2019 Nov 25 EST
All the location information looks correct.

The Night Bar I assume has the black (night) bit in the middle, centred on midnight.

So when you ran the Generator, it creates a new list with a new name.

I'm assuming you have switched to that new list.

When you're in a list, the Status Bar shows the number of objects in the list, the number passing the through filter vs the total number in the list.

I just made a location, made a new list, manually added Albireo, and it popped up. Visibility curve shows it is observable to 11 PM.

Which telescope is active?

I just ran the NOLG for Richmond for tonight for showpieces and it created a list with 32 objects including The Ring.
cheers,
Blake

A couple of things. The NOLG generates lists of objects appropriate for the night selected on the planner, and for the selected telescope. This is November. The objects you are looking for are summer objects. They are already setting when it gets dark. Therefore they are not currently at their best. The NOLG takes this into account, suggesting objects that are at their best right now.

Albiero and Epsilon Lyr are double stars. These would normally be generated via the double stars search, although they may appear in the Showpieces list (I would have to look).

From the help: "The ability to prune a list to a small set of randomly selected objects provides an interesting twist. Every time you create an auto-generated list of NGC/IC objects it will give a unique set of targets for that night. It's like closing your eyes and putting your finger on an atlas to pick targets. Who knows what you will find... Yet with this tool you can also be assured that the objects will be a reasonably good targets that are well placed and appropriate for the telescope." Any time you generate a list there is the potential for it to be pruned to the length you have selected.

Put all of these thing together, and I hope this answers your question.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
I only get 6. I'm definitely doing something wrong.
2019 Nov 25 at Richmond, Virginia Observing List, evening of 2019 Nov 25 at Richmond, Virginia
Sunset 16:53, Twilight ends 18:25, Twilight begins 05:29, Sunrise 07:01, Moon rise 06:50, Moon set 16:31
Completely dark from 18:25 to 05:29. New Moon. All times local (EST).
Listing All Classes after 17:06 and before 23:01.

2019 Nov 25 at Richmond, Virginia Observing List, evening of 2019 Nov 25 at Richmond, Virginia
Sunset 16:53, Twilight ends 18:25, Twilight begins 05:29, Sunrise 07:01, Moon rise 06:50, Moon set 16:31
Completely dark from 18:25 to 05:29. New Moon. All times local (EST).
Listing All Classes after 17:06 and before 23:01.

Cls Primary ID Con
PNe Blue Snowball And
PNe Saturn Nebula Aqr
PNe Cat's Eye Nebula Dra
PNe Eskimo Nebula Gem
Var Hind's Crimson Star Lep
MSS Venus Sgr
The important factors are your light pollution and telescope, not the filter selections. I suspect that you have a bright sky and these are all bright or compact objects that you can see from your location. And six objects from what search, with what specified length?

Maybe someone else can help.. gotta beta test to get going. Blake, thanks for your posts!
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Yeah, I wanna know the telescope profile. Big or small aperture.

Also, which observer? Perhaps that's still the Default; I have a custom expert-level observer set.

We might need some screen snapshots soon...
cheers,
Blake

LX200 8 inch. User is Terry, age 72, Pupil 5.4 mm, Experience: Intermediate.
Sky brightness. That is always the most important thing.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer