Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logs not opening
Hi

I have an odd problem - my SkyTools 3 appears to run fine except that I cannot open my existing observation logs by using the Log icon on the row list.  Also tried the "View Log Entries" from the Action Menu on the Object Information dialog, but no dialog pops up with the log data.

I can use the "Log Book" to print or copy and paste logs and the data is certainly there.  If I try to create a log entry using the Create Quick Log Entry the icon appears on the row, but no dialog screen for entering data.

I'm running Windows 10 1903 with SkyTools standard 3,2k DL SE.

I have disabled my antivirus software (Eset Nod 32) which has not made a difference.  All was fine around 3 weeks ago.  Ran Windows update in case it was an update fix but still got problem . 

Wondered if anyone else had had the same issue before I reinstall the program?

Thanks

Jon
Hello,

As I understand it, when you click on the log icon in your observing list, the log dialog fails to appear, right?

A few things to try:

1. Select Refresh List from the Observing list menu. Did that solve the problem?

2. Open the SkyTools Preferences dialog via the button on the planner tool bar. Click the Reset Defaults button. You will lose some of your selections but none of your custom data. You may have to open the list you were using again.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, please let me know.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg

Thank you for your quick response.  Yes you're right no dialog appears.  I have tried both your suggestions, but unfortunately neither has worked.  It seems a very odd issue as everything else is fine.

Jon
Hello,

This is a strange one. I have not seen it before. It may be that re-installing is the best thing to try next.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg

I copied on an older set of data files from when my previous PC crashed and all seems well, so I assume it was some sort of corruption with a data file. I'll monitor this and let you know if I get any further issues. Thanks for your help.

Jon
I'm glad that worked, but its a pretty drastic solution. I was going suggested a backup/restore of the logs next, which will regenerate the index files without losing any of your log data.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg

Thanks for this - I had not actually made any fresh log entries I discovered since my last backup, so I did not lose anything in the event. If it happens again I will follow your solution - and back up regularly Smile

Many thanks

Jon