Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about the interactive atlas and camera view
Hi Greg,

I have two so I'll use one thread (hope you don't mind) since they are both related to the same views. 

1. Is it possible to disable the rendering of the constellation lines & boundaries (or, more generally, of a given line type)? The chart preferences windows allows setting the line thickness, but its value starts with 1 not 0. I can sort of hide the lines by changing the colour to black but that works if the sky background is black. If I change the chart type to atlas on white background, the lines are again.

2. Is it possible to extract the list of objects in the camera view (to be more precise, as visible with the current magnitude limits? Use case: I take an image based with a chosen target and would also like to know which other objects are in, particularly if some are interesting such as quasars. I can set the mag limits to match the captured image and it'd be great to be able to click a button and get a list of objects in the FOV (useful columns: Primary ID, Alternate ID, Type, RA, Dec, Mag).

3. Is it possible to select the default gain that is used for a camera? I have a ZWO294MC Pro and configured the 300 and 400 gains which I use most often for EAA. Every time I open the camera view, it defaults to Gain 300 (perhaps because it's the first one entered or the first one alphabetically). This is a very minor point, more like a curiosity. 
Thanks and happy 4th of July!
Hi Razvan,

I can help with some of your questions, for the rest - only the Skyhound knows.

For Q1 (in the atlas), click the 'All' button. In the 'General' tab you can select what gets displayed. By clicking the 'Labels' tab you can choose what objects will be labeled. I think this is covered in the 'Help'. In the Camera view click the 'View' button to access the same pop up window as the 'All' button in the atlas. Just check or uncheck your selections & click 'Apply'. 

For Q2 I don't know of a way to create a list of objects like you want (Skyhound question).

I find that the Exposure Calculator & Camera View don't always reproduce the Imaging System settings that I've chosen on the Target List page. The location usually matches though. Much of the time my Imaging Systems are based on a DSLR camera & photo lenses rather than telescopes. The 4.0d version works much better with those systems than the earlier ST4i versions. You just need to remember to check the settings to be sure they're correct.

Hope this is helpful,

Phil S.
(2019-07-04, 06:07 PM)razvan Wrote: Hi Greg,

I have two so I'll use one thread (hope you don't mind) since they are both related to the same views. 

1. Is it possible to disable the rendering of the constellation lines & boundaries (or, more generally, of a given line type)? The chart preferences windows allows setting the line thickness, but its value starts with 1 not 0. I can sort of hide the lines by changing the colour to black but that works if the sky background is black. If I change the chart type to atlas on white background, the lines are again.

2. Is it possible to extract the list of objects in the camera view (to be more precise, as visible with the current magnitude limits? Use case: I take an image based with a chosen target and would also like to know which other objects are in, particularly if some are interesting such as quasars. I can set the mag limits to match the captured image and it'd be great to be able to click a button and get a list of objects in the FOV (useful columns: Primary ID, Alternate ID, Type, RA, Dec, Mag).

3. Is it possible to select the default gain that is used for a camera? I have a ZWO294MC Pro and configured the 300 and 400 gains which I use most often for EAA. Every time I open the camera view, it defaults to Gain 300 (perhaps because it's the first one entered or the first one alphabetically). This is a very minor point, more like a curiosity. 
Thanks and happy 4th of July!

Hello,

Q1. Chart controls are split into two separate functions: View Controls and Chart Preferences. Chart Preferences determine how things appear when they are drawn, selecting colors and fonts and the like. View Controls select what things are on or off. So as already nicely explained, open the View Controls (press the All button on the tool bar, or right-click on the chart and select View Controls) and turn off the display of constellation lines and/or boundaries.

Q2. The best way to do this is to plot the image in the chart background. This can be done with plate solved images. Do this via the Data menu, select Plottable Images. If you have a FITS header with a plate solution for the image you can read it directly. If not FITS, you can use a plate solver (including Astrometry.net) and generate a FITS header file. When you read in the image specify both the image and the FITS header file with the plate solution. Images that have been logged as observations for your project can also be made plottable in a similar way directly from the Observations tab. Once made plottable, the image will display in the chart background. Rather than using the Atlas, I suggest using the Camera View instead. Set it for the date, time, location, and imaging system and let the model determine what is visible rather than fiddling manually with magnitude limits. Turn on chart labels or mouse over to see what each object is. This would make a good subject for a video tutorial.

Q3. Not yet on the default gain, but since it does prefer the first, you could delete the gain settings and re-add them such that the first gain is your default.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the clarifications. On Q2, in my experience with astrometry.net, only the major objects (eg brighter stars and DSOs) are labeled. This is expected, given the typical use case for them. However, getting the complete list of objects that are in the image is not possible. 

To see what's possible now, I looked at a recent image uploaded on Astrometry.net (not mine): [/url][url=http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/2923340#extraction]http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/2923340#extraction. Stars from the index are circle in red but the index doesn't contain all the objects. I downloaded the FITS files and checked if they contain the identifiers for all those stars (I looked at the metadata inside the FITS with a text viewer).

I hope the object extraction feature will make it one day to ST, but of course that depends on the demand.

Thanks.
Hello,

I think you got caught up in your own question. Please re-read my response. I was referring to using Astrometry.net to plate solve images so that SkyTools could display them in the chart background.

I believe plotting objects on the chart is a superior approach, and have no plans to create an object extraction feature. For most purposes, a graphic is much better than a list.
Clear skies,
Greg

SkyTools Developer